Thursday, February 4, 2010

First Kiss Redux


As is the case in all stories, there are two sides to this one. Your about to hear about our first kiss from a wee different perspective.... (Camera fades off into the sky and slowly focus on Spencer sitting at his very spartan cubicle at Bechtel on the morn of the 3rd of Febuary, 2010). So I'm sitting there thinking about how long Susi and I have been married, almost 15 years. Then I tried to remember the first day we met, first date, first kiss and all that stuff. As I was looking at my calendar (also thinking that I'm on company time day dreaming about my first kiss, money well spent. Thanks Bechtel), I realized that the 3rd was the 15th anniversary of our first kiss. At least it was really close to the first anniversary of our first kiss... I remember when it was you see, because I had a plan for that first kiss. In case you don't know me very well, I'm a serious plotter. Not one to fly by the seat of my pants. And as such, homie had a plan laying the first kiss on his woman! The plan was (emphasis on WAS) to kiss her on Valentines day. Susi always seems to manage hosing my plans for her, finding her Christmas presents EVERY YEAR, never letting me name our kids.. but I digress.

So here I am circa 3-Feb-1995 on a date with Susi. We had a scavenger hunt around the campus of Rick's college and ended up at Susi's appartment with all her room mates to watch a movie. The evening was drawing to a close and I was ready to make my escape. Should be a pretty simple move right? "Hey Susi, I've gotta get, got church". "Been loads of fun, see ya tomorrow...k.. bye". At least that's what I had planned. So I get up to make my exit, head for the door, step out side thinking I'm gonna get a quick hug and be off. Then... I hear ... the door shut behind me ... with Susi unexpectedly being on my side.

Heart begins to race, face goes somewhat numb, knees get just a bit weak. "This is ok, I can handle this, I've got a plan!" Think, come on you fool!! Think!! Ok Ok... this is gonna work and I can still say our real first kiss was on Valentines day. Dang she's cute, just a little kiss wouldn't hurt.. NO NO, be strong, it's just one more week. OK, here it goes, I'm mov'n in. Small hug, lips on check, perfect. SCORE!!
Then she said something, but it wasn't what I thought she said... No no no, she "Your Great", because no one EVER says "That's It" when a guy tries to be romantic. That just doesn't happen.... or...maybe ....it does.
Well, at that point, I just didn't have a choice. It's not that I didn't want to, you need to appreciate how unbeleivably gorgeous she was to grasp the kind of will


power required to just kiss her on the check the first time. But she just called me out, so it was game on now. Nobody calls homie out on the first kiss.
So I laid one on her like I meant it. At that point, I really did loose all feeling in my legs.
I'm surprised I made it home. As Susi said, when I got there I poured a bowl of cereal and put the milk in the cupboard and the cereal back in the fridge...
She blew my doors off.
So yesterday, I wanted her to know that I remembered that day. I'll never forget it.

3 comments:

frosty said...

Awwwww, you guys are so cute!

Destiny said...

its always good to know both sides of the story. I guess it just shows who wears the pants in the relationship.

Saimi said...

That was great Spencer, thanks for sharing...Gotta hand it to the both of you, your awesome!!! Love the layout, it's perfect for February, and romantic first kiss stories!!