Monday, October 19, 2009

The Hammer

I never really fancied myself as the as an authoritarian or just a big meanie. And most of the time I'm not. I'm just a big lovable teddy bear who melts when he sees his two little girls. Ok, that's not totally true. I don't really melt when they take a razor to my computer monitor, pour paint all over themselves, put my phone in the toilet, jump head first into my privates, dump all the body wash into the tub... need I say more. BUT.... I usually am just a big furry (except on top of my head) lovable, Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent. Wait a minute, that's a scout. I guess I'm one of those too. But I digress...
In a nutshell, I'm pretty mellow most of the time. Well, most of the time comes to an abrupt end at bed time. In an instant, I go from being fun lovable dad... and into... THE HAMMER. I don't know what it is about bed time that makes me so crazy. I guess I just like to have every thing orderly and expeditiously. So when I go to bed, I don't really like to hear the following: 1) I forgot to do my homework (here's the kicker) and it's going to take me an hour. 2) I forgot about my science project that will require you to run around town like a mad man till midnight tonight to make it happen. And to a lesser degree: 3) I forgot to brush my teeth. 4) Can I get a drink. 5) I forgot to eat dinner. 6) I want another story. 7) Kaden's touching me. 8) Brianna won't let me have the book. .. yada yada. I could go on for pages. I suppose that if those things were the exception to the rule, it probably wouldn't bug me. But the fact that they happen.... every... night... drive... me to the... brink ... o f s a n i t yyyy. And probably just a teensy weensy bit over. I find my self just repeating over and over,"Just go to bed". The way I say it changes as the night goes on though. It starts out very polite. "Please small child, just go to bed cherished little one". Then a little bit annoyed, "Will you just go to bed already". Then just a touch of the Hammer, "GO TO BED NOW!". And finally, with a faint sob,"for the love of all that is good in this world, please go to bed before go into a full nervous break down". Once my children have seen that they have taken me through this gamet of emotion, they dutifully go to bed. "No more damage can be inflicted tonight" is what they whisper to each other...
Anyway.. last night was one of those nights when they were just getting on my last nerve. Sophia and Emmy were just playing non-stop in thier bed and wouldn't go to sleep. So I took Sophie and laid her on the floor in our room and told her to go to sleep. After just a second, she started to cry and begged "The Hammer" to let her lay down with mommy. Oh, and she also said something about some stupid spider... like that would matter to a 3 year old that is terrified of spiders. Just man up and go to sleep!! The following was recounted to me by a patient loving wife trying to teach me something. After I left the room, Sophia began to sing softly "Follow the Prophet" over and over again. You see, mommy had taugh Sophia to sing a hymn when she was really scared... Susi called Sophia to the bed and brushed away her fears and rocked her to sleep. It was at this point that I realized that I needed to change my approach a little bit to putting the kids to sleep. I get so wrapped up in making sure they are sleeping, I stop listening to them and ignoring what they are telling me. When I do listen to the, hold them, read them stories and am patient with them, they go to sleep wonderfully. The Hammer realized that he needed to drop the tough guy act and just love the kiddies at bed time. makes a huge differnence. Anyway, that's about enough...

5 comments:

Susi Daw said...

I'm so glad you have finally learned you lesson. It only took you 10 years. :) I'm sure when the kiddos grow up, they will be sitting around the kitchen table recounting the stories of how mad they made dad at bed time, and just giggle with all the fun memories of you in a corner rocking back and forth sucking your thumb. Chanting, "just go to bed, just go to bed." Luv ya babe!

Anonymous said...

You should hold a seminar for all the Hammer dad's of America...Travis will be sitting in the first row.

Saimi said...

You're a wonderful Dad and the kids will have nothing but the best of memories growing up! Keep up the good work!!

Mary said...

This is my favorite blog post EVER!!!

I also get a little (more than a little) twitchy at bed time. Not my most patient time of day.

frosty said...

Spenc...you should write for a newspaper! That was way to real. :)