Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11


It has been 8 years since the September 11 attacks, and I can clearly remember where I was, and what I was doing. There are moments in my life when confronted about,I have no idea what happened. I draw a blank. Spencer will ask me all the time of things we have done or if I remember this or that. Again I draw a BLANK.
But I could tell you everything about that day. How I woke up in the early morning, with a daily ritual of turning on the t.v. and watching Good Morning America. Brianna was only 3 and Kaden was 2. They were busy playing with their toys in their room. I remember sitting in my bed under the covers. It was gloomy outside,and a little chilly, unusual for San Diego. On the t.v. they were talking about the twin towers and how a plane had just crashed into the first tower. I was shocked to say the least. I was mesmerized and couldn't believe what I was hearing and witnessing. Then out of nowhere a second plane came flying in and strikes the second tower. I felt my heart pounding out of my chest and I was paralyzed. Then I started to cry.

I felt extreme saddness for all those who lost their lives. The images of people jumping to their death, the smoke bellowing from the windows, people running from the site, and people running to the site.

I called Spencer and told him what had happened. We were both in shock.

Eight years later and I still have to choke down tears. May we always remember the sacrifices that were made to save lives on that day. And the sacrifices that have been made since keeping us save. We are so grateful to be living in a country where we are still free and grateful to those who keep us free.

2 comments:

frosty said...

Thanks, Susi...that was a beautiful tribute.

Saimi said...

I never have the T.V. on in the morning. Lauie Herzog called me as I was getting ready for work and told me. I heard the rest on the radio as I was driving. The school had their tv's on. I was in total shock and it was tough pressing forward with the preschoolers it's not like we could talk to them about it, so for them, their day had to be like any other day.